Polish food 「波蘭の料理」
The following is a recipe for pizza pierogi filling. For all of the filling recipes, the success of your pierogi depends on how well you can make mashed potatoes. Remember to halve your filling ingredients if you plan on splitting the recipe!
STEP 1: Pizza sauce
Prep time: 5 min | Sitting time: 30 min
170 ml of tomato paste
170 ml of warm water
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic puree
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
A dash of chilli powder
Salt to taste
1) In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and water. Mix until smooth.
2) Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Don’t forget to sample it.
3) Let the sauce sit for 30~60 minutes to blend the flavours.
4) Cautiously make any last minute adjustments according to taste!
STEP 2: Prep filling ingredients
Prep time: 5 min
1 cup of grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1) Prep all ingredients and set them aside.
STEP 3: Pierogi filling
Prep time: 10 min | Cooking time: 15~20 min | Sitting time: 1 hour
9 peeled nugget potatoes (Yukon Gold or other similarly thin skinned potatoes work best)
5 cloves of garlic cut in half
2 tablespoons of butter (approx.)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1) Boil potatoes and garlic together until soft enough to mash.
2) While you are boiling the potatoes, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions. Cook and stir often until soft and transparent. Set aside to be mixed in with the potatoes after mashing.
3) Strain and mash the potatoes, adding butter as necessary to cream the potatoes. They need to be smoother than silk. You may need more than 2 tablespoons to get it smooth enough. In the case of pizza pierogi, don’t add milk or cream to the potatoes as you will be adding pizza sauce.
4) Add the onions to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
At this point, you can split the potatoes if you wish to make two or more flavours at once.
5) Assuming you have not split the mashed potatoes, add the cup of cheese and mix well.
6) Once the cheese has melted in, add approximately half of the pizza sauce to them. Mix well and taste. Add more if necessary. You will have some leftover sauce. This can be frozen and used again at a later time.
7) Allow the filling to cool for an hour or so. It shouldn’t be more than barely warm to the touch. The colder it is, the better.
Back to the Pierogi page